Wednesday 25 January 2012

Robbie Burns Day

It's weight-loss Wednesday and I thought I'd post about the importance of fibre for example: oatmeal.

But first, here is my nod to Robbie Burns Day:
what i wore
This is the Dress Stewart Tartan
I have a red turtle neck under the holey pullover.  Still have to wear red for the rest of the week for Chinese New Year.

Now back to fibre: Fibre is very important for weight loss because it makes you feel full.  It's hard to digest, in fact I think we don't really digest it, so it passes through your system keeping you regular and taking along any bad toxins with it.  Also because it fills you up, you don't get hungry as fast and end up eating less.

There are lots of ways to get fibre in your diet:
  • Oatmeal (my favourite), but not the instant nuke-it oatmeal, you have to use those big flakes, the ones you need to cook.  I usually add dried fruit to it and have gradually reduced the brown sugar so now I don't need any sugar at all.
  • Switch from white bread to a whole grain or "squirelly" bread.  They say white bread is very bad for you, it has almost no nutritional value and makes a lumpy paste in your stomache.  I love white bread so this one is very hard for me to do.
  • Use whole wheat pasta instead of plain pasta
  • Eat lots of fruits and veggies.  Whenever possible, eat the fruit/veggie instead of drinking it.  More fibre.
One guy at my workplace lost 40 pounds! over the course of several months by having a daily bowl of oatmeal and eating more sensibly the rest of the time.

So, eat your fibre.  Even if you don't want to lose weight, fibre is good for you.


0 thoughts, what do you think?:

Post a Comment