Friday 9 March 2012

Zip it Up

Are you one of those people who are always security conscious?  I am.  I try to stand near the buttons in an elevator, and always stand well back from the train tracks on the platform. This post is about a security refashion.

So I got a purse years ago and it always bothered me that it has a flap closure, but no zipper.
It is also a fabric purse which is worse because when you toss it somewhere, it just flops, loses it shape and the contents could easily tumble out.

I checked at my favourite notions store but couldn't find the right zipper; they had plastic ones that were the right length or metal ones that were too long.  I bought both, but decided metal would be better.
I was going to cut the zipper and so marked it up, then started hand-sewing it to the bag, but changed my mind after one side was done. 
So then I ripped it all out and started again.
I decided to leave a bit hanging out so that there would be something to grip when I tugged on the zipper.
I'm glad I went with the metal because it matches quite well.  I think it looks okay.  What d'you think?

6 comments:

  1. The zipper is a good color match and leaving a bit to grasp is probably a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terri, it took hours looking through zippers to find one which I thought would match (having not brought the bag along).

      Delete
  2. I think it looks perfect, if you hadn't told me I wouldn't have guess that the zipper was added on , nice job!

    mongs
    mythriftycloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mongs, Thanks! I think it's due to the metal being the same colour as the metal details on the bag. What a relief that I didn't go with the plastic zip.

      Delete
  3. Wow, that looks great! I would have never thought of adding a zipper to a handbag. Clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Louise. It's an unhealthy obsession of mine - always looking at how better to secure pockets and bags. Thanks for commenting again!

      Delete